Here’s the second half of my 2-part series on my fantasy football drafts this year. After this post, I doubt I’ll mention fantasy football again the rest of the season… unless something really interesting happens!
Tonight was the draft with the co-workers. Fourth year we’ve been doing this league, and I came in third last year, winning the consolation playoff game.
Brief details on structure: 14 round snake draft with 8 players; starting lineup is 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE flex, 1 K, 1 Defense/Special Teams, and 5 bench spots. Scoring is pretty standard for a Yahoo league.
Here’s the results of my draft, with commentary mixed in where appropriate:
- RB Michael Turner, ATL (13th overall, was pretty surprised he dropped this far)
- WR Randy Moss, NE (There’s my obligatory Patriot pick, early this draft)
- QB Matt Ryan, ATL (QB pickings were getting pretty slim, had to grab a decent one with either this pick or the 4th round)
- RB Jamaal Charles, KC (Another one that I was surprised he dropped this far; was hoping to handcuff him with Thomas Jones later in the draft, but it wasn’t meant to be)
- WR Derrick Mason, BAL (Pickings were getting REALLY slim by this point, so went with Joe Flacco’s safety blanket, should get yards playing in the slot)
- TE Tony Gonzalez, ATL (Ugh, didn’t want to have to pick a TE in the 6th round…)
- RB Donald Brown, IND (A reach here, but I like him to get more points than Addai this year)
- DEF/ST New York Jets (Nooooooooo! This pick makes me miserable, I don’t want to be rooting for the Jets, ever)
- QB Chad Henne, MIA (Should be a serviceable backup for Matty Ice)
- WR Eddie Royal, DEN (No idea what I’m doing at this point)
- RB Darren Sproles, SD (Hoping to vulture some TDs, hoping Ryan Mathews struggles?)
- WR Santonio Holmes, NYJ (See yesterday’s post on my thoughts for Holmes)
- WR Julian Edelman, NE (Another Patriot WR, worth a shot in the 13th round, especially if Welker’s knee gets balky)
- K David Akers, PHI (In a 196 player draft, definitely need to save kickers for the last round)
In short, I hate my draft. I fully expect this team to suck eggs this year.