Here’s the second half of my 2-part series on my fantasy football drafts this year. After this post, I doubt I’ll mention fantasy football again the rest of the season… unless something really interesting happens!
Thursday was the draft with the co-workers. Fifth year we’ve been doing this league, but for the first time, we had enough players to split into TWO leagues.
Brief details on structure: 12 round snake draft with 12 players; starting lineup is 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE flex, 1 K, 1 Defense/Special Teams, and 2 bench spots. Scoring is pretty standard for a Yahoo league.
Here’s the results of my draft, with commentary mixed in where appropriate:
- QB Michael Vick, PHI (#10 overall pick, 3rd QB off the board… go big or go home!)
- RB Michael Turner, ATL (Had him last year, too, with almost the same pick; 8th WR off the board)
- WR DeSean Jackson, PHI (11th WR off the board; I’m betting big on the Philly aerial attack, apparently)
- RB Felix Jones, DAL (Picked him in my other draft this year as well, for the same reasons)
- WR Mike Williams, TB (Pretty damn good in his rookie season, with a young QB; should put up even better numbers this year)
- WR Percy Harvin, MIN (Three of the four picks between my 5th and 6th rounds were guys I’d queued up to pick — Jermichel Finley, Dwayne Bowe, Dallas Clark; now I’ll be rooting for Donovan McNabb to get him the ball, and praying for no migraines!)
- TE Aaron Hernandez, NE (Plays more like a WR, should continue to get plenty of targets in his second year; 5th TE picked in the 7th round alone, 10th TE overall)
- WR Malcolm Floyd, SD (Nothing interesting to say about him…)
- QB Kyle Orton, DEN (Insurance for Vick getting beaten up and missing time, otherwise I wouldn’t have carried a second QB on that short bench; only three more QBs picked the rest of the way after Orton)
- RB Pierre Thomas, NO (Sixty-five picks after rookie Mark Ingram, just sayin’…)
- DEF Detroit Lions (Carrying the Lions defense in both of my leagues, allowing me to name this team “Ndamukong Soup Nazis” as well!)
- K Rob Bironas, TEN (Gotta have a kicker…)